According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are more than 3,000 unintentional drowning deaths each year in the United States. Thousands of children require emergency medical care for drowning incidents, and nonfatal accidents may result in brain damage and other long-term disabilities. Our firm wants to provide you with practical safety tips so you and your family can stay safe at the pool this summer.
In order to avoid a swimming pool accident, you need to:
- Supervise your children. Adequate supervision is important to keep your kids safe. Drowning accidents often happen quickly and quietly. If no one is paying attention, your child may suffer serious injuries or death. For children under 4 years old, the supervisor should be within arm’s reach at all times.
- Use the buddy system. This step is important for adults and children alike. Going swimming alone is dangerous, because no one will be able to get help if there is an accident. By having another person with you, you can increase your safety and enjoy a fun time at the pool. It is also important to go swimming at a location where a lifeguard is stationed, if possible.
- Avoid trusting pool toys for safety. Pool toys and floating mattresses are fun to play with, but they don’t provide any measure of protection. Kids may slip off of them, and adults need to provide supervision to avoid drowning accidents.
- Teach your kids how to swim. Swimming skills can increase the safety of children. With formal swimming lessons, your child can become more comfortable swimming and learn the basics of treading water. This can help protect him or her from a serious accident.
- Practice common sense. Some common sense guidelines include walking around pool areas to avoid slipping and falling, using pool barriers, installing alarms in and around your pool, and diving only in specified areas.
If Your Child Has Been Injured in a Swimming Pool Accident, Call Our Louisville Personal Injury Lawyer Today at (502) 242-8877
Brett H. Oppenheimer, PLLC has nearly 30 years of experience representing injured clients in Kentucky. We strive to provide stress-free services to victims and their families, and we will communicate honestly and clearly with you from start to finish. Swimming pool accidents can have devastating consequences. Our Louisville personal injury attorney will discuss your options, build your case, and aggressively represent you as you seek justice from those responsible.
Contact our office today to schedule a free consultation.