Louisville Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Across the U.S., motorcycle accident fatalities have more than doubled since 1996, from roughly 2,100 to about 4,800 in 2006. Motorcycle accidents on Kentucky highways and roads killed 98 people in 2006, and hundreds more motorcyclists are severely injured each year. If you’ve been hurt — or if a loved one has been killed — in a motorcycle accident in Kentucky, you can turn to attorney Brett H. Oppenheimer.
Disproportionate Share of the Roadway Fatalities
According to the Governors Highway Safety Association, 11 percent of Kentucky’s traffic fatalities in 2006 involved motorcycle accidents, although the percentage of all Kentucky-registered vehicles comprised by motorcycles is only 3 percent. There are close to 60,000 motorcycles registered in the Commonwealth, and the number keeps growing as fuel prices climb.
About two-thirds of motorcyclists who are killed in a collision are riding without a helmet. In Kentucky, only motorcycle riders under 21 years old and those licensed for less than a year are required to wear a helmet. Even with a helmet, motorcycle operators and passengers are vulnerable for a number of reasons:
- The drivers of larger vehicles (cars, trucks, SUVs) often don’t take note of motorcycles on the road.
- They may not give a motorcyclist a full lane width.
- A vehicle driver may not signal his/her intention to change lanes or merge with traffic.
- A driver may not look in the vehicle’s blind spot, missing a motorcycle’s presence.
- A driver may underestimate the effects of adverse weather on a motorcycle.
- Vehicle drivers often do not allow enough following distance behind a motorcyclist.
Motorcycle Accident Injuries and Losses
A motorcycle accident may result in very severe injuries, accompanied by losses such as:
- Medical bills
- Income loss
- Funeral/burial costs
When the motorcycle accident is caused (wholly or in part) by the negligence of another driver, the losses may be eligible for financial compensation.
Talk to a Louisville Lawyer about Your Motorcycle Accident
Every motorcycle accident is unique. Contact our Louisville motorcycle accident lawyers for a free and confidential consultation to discuss your legal alternatives.