Many Possible Gastric Bypass Problems
Injured by Medical Malpractice?
Although gastric bypass surgeries have helped thousands of obese people regain their health and lose significant amounts of excess body weight, the surgeries are not without risks.
Many post-surgery gastric bypass problems have been documented, including (but not limited to) the following:
- Dumping syndrome — the stomach’s contents move too quickly through the small intestine (they get “dumped”). Symptoms include nausea and fainting.
- Complications — abdominal hernia; infection; stretched stomach outlet (as the stomach returns to a larger size); breakdown of the staple line; the bypassed stomach can increase in size, causing bloating and hiccups
- Malnutrition — due to the decreased absorption of iron, vitamins and protein. In fact, iron and vitamin B12 deficiencies occur in greater than 30% of gastric bypass patients. Even gastric bypass patients who take supplements to combat this have developed deficiencies.
- Stomal stenosis — after the bypass, the connection between the stomach and the intestines is too narrow, causing nausea and vomiting after eating. This happens in 5% to 15% of the patients
- Ulcers — in 5% to 15% of the patients
- A leakage from the stomach into the abdominal cavity
- Blood clot in the lung
- An infection in the incision
- Excessive swings in the level of glucose (blood sugar)
- Chronic abdominal pain and diarrhea— due to malabsorption of nutrients
Many individuals who have had gastric bypass surgery have been required to undergo additional surgery to correct complications from the gastric bypass. In addition, about 3 in 200 people who have surgery for weight loss die from the surgery or its complications.
Talk to a Kentucky Medical Malpractice Attorney about Gastric Bypass Problems
If you or your family member has experienced a serious health problem after a gastric bypass procedure, contact the Louisville, Kentucky offices of Brett Oppenheimer to explore your legal options.
Knowing that someone’s out there fighting for the small guy who couldn’t fight, changed everything for me.Anthony M.
"Appreciate the extra care and patience that all of you are extending!"Nilyris W.
"Appreciate the team at Brett H. Oppenheimer, PLLC!"Sharon G.